A doula is a woman who supports another woman before, during and after childbirth. A doula gives emotional and practical support to the family. A doula enables a woman to have the most satisfying time during pregnancy, birth and the postpartum period.
A doula´s role is never clinical in anyway, she is a support person.
A doula is there for you to support you no matter your birth choices. Whether you are expecting your first or third baby, planning a home birth or hospital birth or caesarian. A doula is there to meet your needs.
The word doula comes from greek and originally means “woman servant or caregiver”. Later meaning is “a woman who supports another woman”
My name is Soffía Bæringsdóttir and am a CB doula from Childbirth International, trained with Penny Simkin in 2011 and with Barbara Hotelling in 2012. Over the years I have added skills to my practise, rebozo, Childbirth education, NBO and hypnobirthing.
My service depends on your needs, often we meet twice before birth, at birth and twice after the birth. Other arrangements at your chose can easily be arranged.
The first step is too meet and get too know each other. The first meeting is free and without any commitments. Feel free to contact us over the phone as well.
I also provide private birth preparation, assist with a birth plan and a private lesson to work through a difficault birth experience. For groups I can provide a antenatal classes og hypnobirth-classes in English. We are located in Síðumúli 10, 108 Reykjavík.
Please contact me at email@example.com or at 862-4804 and get more information.
Look forward to hearing from you.
As a doula I provide;
- unlimited support through email and telephone
- help with making a birthplan
- accsess to my books about pregnancy, birth and breastfeeding
- birth preparation
- foot massage
- tips on positions and relaxation
- continuous support through the birth
- help with breastfeeding if needed
- reflecting after the birth
- I commit myself to be in the neighborhood from two weeks before EDD until the baby is born
What are the benefits of a doula?
* shorter labour
* reduction in need for a forceps use
* reduction in need for epidurals
* reduction in caesarian rate
* lower rates in Post natal depression
* better bonding with baby and partner after birth
* higher rates of successful breastfeeding
* take pressure of fathers to be sole support person
* gives fathers ability to take breaks
* guidance for fathers in how to support the mother.
Fathers and doulas: Doula does not take over the fathers role at any time. A doula supports both mother and father to have the birth they are looking for.